HARWICH & THE REDOUBT RAMBLE
On a clear and crisp sunny morning 23 “amblers” (including one little dog!) met in Dovercourt to
walk along the waterfront to the Redoubt Fort in Harwich, passing the high and
low lighthouses on
the way. There was plenty of activity on the water, with cargo ships coming into
several lasers and finns from the Harwich Town Sailing Club racing.
When we reached the Redoubt David Whittle, Vice Chairman of the Harwich Society,
was waiting to give us a tour of the fort. It is a Martello Tower which was
built in 1808 to defend against a
Napoleonic invasion and, as well as there being several guns and cannons, now
houses many little
exhibitions in the chambers on the ground floor.
It went through a period of neglect, but in 1969 a massive clearance by
volunteers began of the site, getting rid of old cars, rubbish, undergrowth and
trees, and they also unearthed an original cannon which is on display.
Restoration of the building then took place and there are now many events held
there through the year.
Unfortunately we had to leave before we could finish looking around in order to
get back to the
restaurant for our lunch, some taking the short cut. All in all a very nice trip
with good company and